I was browsing for Valentine’s Day gift ideas for ladies of our kind, otherwise known as honorary Vulcans, and found that we seriously need new ones.
Mashable put out a list for geeks in 2011 and I detested almost everything on it. Maybe I’m not geeky enough to get most of what was on it, but I’m the type of person who appreciates gifts I would wear or use (but not t-shirts). Case in point, Shiny Shiny put out a list in 2012 for geeky girls, and I liked almost anything on it. A lot of it was tech related, most of it was inexpensive–it was right up my alley. And this is a girl after my own heart, I felt like I could have written this list. Nerd Valentine also has some pretty tantalizing options.
If you’re thinking to yourself I got 99 problems but a gift ain’t one, you probably don’t need this list. For those of you who who are fresh out of ideas, bored, or looking to get true love’s kiss, here’s my version.
1. The Evenstar is gorgeous and functional-perfect for a night on the town or your next extended versions viewing party. The motherlode for those in serious relationships or die-hard LOTR couples.
2. Decals for those who wear their fandom hearts on their phone or laptop sleeves.
3. A ‘behind the scenes’ or ‘making of’ book or documentary for fandom fanatics to see how it all began.
4. An ampersand pillow (I may or may not have this).
5. A Doctor Who sonic screwdriver to use as a universal remote, or a Harry Potter Wand.
6. A Valentine’s Day card made from this:
7. An afghan. Always in style and warm.
8. OPI nail polish from any of their fantasy collections: Alice in Wonderland, Pirates of the Caribbean, The Amazing Spiderman, Oz the Great and Powerful, or Skyfall. My personal favorite is Mermaid’s Tears from the Pirates of the Caribbean Collection.
9. An aromatherapy lamp with an oil of your choice. Transport her to far away places with jasmine or a citrusy scent like grapefruit, help her to relax or sleep with lavender, it’s a win-win.
10. For coffee lovers, this is a surprisingly gorgeous ring of a coffee molecule.
11. Entertain and show off with these coasters of house sigils from Game of Thrones.
13. At first, I wasn’t sure about this mystical fire, but now I have the strangest urge to pop some in my fireplace and let it wreak havoc on my eyeballs. It would probably would have more effect from a campfire or cookout fire.
15. I saw this and couldn’t pass it up. Forget Bath & Body Works and get some Iron Man arc reactor soap just for kicks.
16. And last, but not least, Ghiradelli chocolate gaming dice–fun to look at and possibly play with, but definitely to eat with.
So there you have it, although it’s coming to you in the middle of the week, and unless you have Amazon Prime or know a master knitter for an afghan, you might be sunk. But if all else fails, there is much power in the simplicity of a thoughtful effort, a heartfelt card, and a warmed belly filled with good chocolate.